After a lovely night out to see Invictus at a house group (The story of Nelson Mandela's hope in south african rugby team to win but most importantly to bring reconciliation, forgiveness and the nation togther). I am seeing this thread of HOPE! I have being thinking about HOPE in God. What it really means in a practical sense and how it can encourage, influence and open doors for a more positive outcome . Especially, so in the last two weeks.
I dont know if it is just me or if its really happpening but it seems most places I go there is a theme of HOPE. And tonight once again confirmed this.
I walked into CUP (Children's Uplift Programme) on Monday, and Beth showed me around, I could here her talking but in my head I was having a conversation with myself, as I looked at the women, sew the sari blankets, the ladies look after ther children, the ladies in the night shelter looking after one another and in the office staff members working diligently to support the ladies who acces the center.
There in my head was the conversation: WHAT KEPT THESE LADIES COMING BACK DAY AFTER DAY? WHAT INSPIRED THERE REQUEST TO WORK AN EXTRA DAY? Increasing there 5 day week, to a 6 day week. Especially, when it is probrable the general consesus of London would vote in favour of working one less day.
I believe the answer to be HOPE! Hope that tommorow will be brighter, Hope that if they work together something positive will happen. Hope that there children too can be somebody because of the steps they are taking today.
They've now seen some evidence of there hope manifesting into a reality. Seeing CUP change offices, get more staff, facilitate an emergency night shlelter, orders from foreign people creeping in. All in aid of supporting them. The dream in there hearts takes up deeper roots, as small acorns grow. Here they experience acceptance for who they are, and see they have worth, value and necessary ideas. They know they are good at making something that people want to buy, and they no longer have to support them selves or there families by selling sex. Hope inspires them to soldier on, hope for there furture and disregard of the unnecessary evils of there past.
On the first day I visited the Children's Uplift Programme (CUP) , they had just recieved great news. Four of there children who were with out parents, passed the test and got into mainstream school. The place was buzzing with excitement and it's hope, defiance, and blessings of a loving God who opened this door for these children. And it is the same hope that would encourage CUP staff to put them selves at risk to see these children and there mothers supported.
My first day at CUP was interesting, Amongst other things, I witnessed a pimp harrasing and threathening behaviour towards CUP staff and her own children. She threathened to strangle her younger child, if the child she wanted to pimp out, who was now with CUP did not return with her. I thought this was extreme behaviour and no mother would do such a thing, but I was surprised to hear she had already tried strangling her own child but thanks to intervention was unsuccessfull.
This woman is desperate for money to feed her family and sees CUP as intervening in her access to bread and butter. This little girl sold in to prostitution is her Hope for everyday survival. The little girl in question is 9 years old, but looks more like 7 years old, she is a smart beautiful little girl who was trying to teach me Bangla that morning before the incident happened, but she has decided to hold on to hope. She decided not to return with her pimp because she hopes for a better furture. She is one of the children who got in to school. May school be the first step towards the future God has laid up for her, and the good plans he has for her comes to pass. Praise God she, was snatched from the dark world of prostitution and she no longer has to be groomed for this line of work.
I witnessed hope again, that afternoon in a childrens club in one of Dhaka's slums. Here I found a lovely lady from the western world who was determined to support children to get an education in the slum. I visited on the day of the boys club, This was the tiniest room, not much bigger than an average London bathroom, but unbelievably over 40 boys attended all squashed in with there legs folded sitting on the floor. This was there class room, and it was there first day back to school. She called the roll and I photographed each child.
I use the term child loosely as this class consisted of boys from age 5 up to age 14 all learning the same thing, and showing respect for each other. A common goal was shared, getting an education could mean something better than there current life is possible. They listened attentively and sang together. I looked at the older boys and wonder why at 14 they were happy to sit in a class with 5 year olds and learn the same thing, and displaying the same enthusiasm, and not being rude or any of the "normal" behaviour westerners expect from teenage boys. Again, there it came, These boys had HOPE planted in there heart. There was a time they were illiterate but now they have varied levels of literacy. These boys are roses who are begining to spring from concrete. And I am looking forward to working with them over the next few months.
Hope being the open door for inspiration, new ideas, possibilities, the silver lining in the grey cloud! Hold on to Hope. It abounds in the heart and reflects in actions. Hope In CHRIST!
No comments:
Post a Comment